Review important 2nd grade math standards and skills with these hands-on and ENGAGING math center activities! These March-themed centers include 11 different math activities targeting second grade measurement, counting money, multi-step word problems, arrays, 3-digit subtraction with regrouping, telling time, shapes, graphs & data, and more! Activities include differentiated versions to help you set up your math workshop time with ease! Looking for fun center ideas for St.Patrick’s Day? These will be a class favorite!
(Color + B&W Version of all activities!)
Match the Time: Students will select the time that matches each clock. Includes a set with time to the nearest minute and another set with time to the nearest 5 minutes. (24 task cards each)
Place Value True/False Sort: Students will read each task card containing a place value statement. They will determine if the statement is true or false and place the card in the correct bag. Includes questions about the value of digits and writing numbers in expanded form. Includes a set with 3-digit numbers and a set with 4-digit numbers. (24 task cards each)
3-Digit Subtraction with Regrouping Puzzles: Students will solve each 3-digit subtraction problem and match the puzzle piece with the correct difference. Includes a set with equations regrouping once and a set with equations regrouping twice. (24 task cards each)
Counting Coins: Students will match the coins to the correct value. Includes a set with just coins and a set with money word problems. (24 task cards each)
Measurement & Perimeter: Students will measure the length of each side on the figures using centimeters. They will then clip the correct perimeter of the figure. (24 total)
Clip the Shape: Students will clip all of the shapes that match the description. Includes questions about number of sides, vertices, lines of symmetry, and names of shapes. (Quadrilateral, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, etc.) (18 total)
Array Matching: Students will match the correct repeated addition or multiplication sentence with each array. Includes a set of repeated addition cards and a se of multiplication cards. (24 total)
Comparing Measurements to the Nearest Inch: Students will measure the two rainbows on each card using an inch ruler. They will then find the difference between both measurements. (12 total)
Multi-Step Word Problems: Students will solve two-step word problems. (Addition & Subtraction) Includes a set with bar models and without bar models. (24 total)
Data & Graphs: Students will use the graphs to solve different addition and subtraction word problems. Includes bar graphs, tally tables, and picture graphs. (24 total)
Find the Unknown Number: Students will find the missing number that makes both addition & subtraction equations true. Includes a set with single-digit numbers and a set with 2-digit numbers. (24 task cards each)
Direction sheets, task card box covers, response sheets, and answer keys are included for all activities!
Check out the other monthly centers!
- CCSS2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
- CCSS2.MD.A.4 Measure to determine how much longer one object is than another, expressing the length difference in terms of a standard length unit.
- CCSS2.MD.C.7 Tell and write time from analog and digital clocks to the nearest five minutes, using a.m. and p.m.
- CCSS2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and ¢ symbols appropriately. Example: If you have 2 dimes and 3 pennies, how many cents do you have?
- CCSS2.MD.D.9 Generate measurement data by measuring lengths of several objects to the nearest whole unit, or by making repeated measurements of the same object. Show the measurements by making a line plot, where the horizontal scale is marked off in whole-number units.
- CCSS2.NBT.A.1 Understand that the three digits of a three-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones; e.g., 706 equals 7 hundreds, 0 tens, and 6 ones. Understand the following as special cases:
- CCSS2.NBT.A.1a 100 can be thought of as a bundle of ten tens – called a “hundred.”
- CCSS2.NBT.A.3 Read and write numbers to 1000 using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.
- CCSS2.NBT.B.5 Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- CCSS2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
- CCSS2.OA.B.2 Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies. By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
- CCSS2.OA.C.4 Use addition to find the total number of objects arranged in rectangular arrays with up to 5 rows and up to 5 columns; write an equation to express the total as a sum of equal addends.
- CCSS2.G.A.1 Recognize and draw shapes having specified attributes, such as a given number of angles or a given number of equal faces. Identify triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, and cubes.
Read Before Purchasing:
All files are DIGITAL download files in PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat to access this resource. Once you purchase, you will be prompted to a page where you can download your file(s). You will also receive an email with a link to the downloadable file(s). Additionally, you can access your files at any time by visiting the ‘My Account‘ section.
Have other questions? Check out the FAQ page for questions about downloads, editable files, printing, and more!
Join the Sweet Teacher Community!