Engage your students during literacy centers with these fun vocabulary task cards and activities. This resource includes SIX different vocabulary activities focusing on 3rd-4th grade standards and vocabulary. Students will be exposed to a variety of new words and practice their context clues skills along the way. Inside you’ll find review activities focusing on multiple-meaning words (homographs), synonyms, antonyms, prefixes, suffixes, and more! Includes printable & DIGITAL activities!
These camping task cards are perfect for vocabulary literacy centers, especially as part of a camping classroom transformation!
Skills Covered in this Resource:
- Multiple Meaning Words
- Context Clues
Multiple Meaning Matching: Students will find the two sentences that match each multiple-meaning word. They will also find the definition card that contains both definitions for the word.
Context Clue Scoot: Students will read each sentence and use context clues to identify the meaning of the word. (Can be used as a scoot around the room or as a center activity.)
Synonym & Antonym Task Cards: Students will read each sentence and use context clues to identify the meaning of the word. Students will select the synonym and antonym for the underlined word.
Synonym Matching Game: Students flip two cards over. If the cards are synonyms, the player keeps the cards. If they are not synonyms, flip them back over and it is the next player’s turn.
Antonym Matching Game: Students flip two cards over. If the cards are antonyms, the player keeps the cards. If they are not antonyms, flip them back over and it is the next player’s turn.
Prefix/Suffix Spinner: Students select a word card and spin the spinner (Suffix and Prefix spinners are separate) Students will attempt to create new words using the prefix or suffix.
- Response Sheets
- Answer Key
- Cover Pages
- Black & White Version
*Task Cards are designed to fit inside task card boxes. Task Card box covers and instructions are also included.
- Multiple Meaning Words- drag & drop the circles to select answers
- Synonym & Antonym Task Cards- drag & drop the circles to select answers
- Synonym Matching Game- drag & drop the star to select the matching card
- Antonym Matching Game- drag & drop the star to select the matching card
This can be used as a self-checking quiz. Teachers are able to see what each student got right/wrong immediately. The student will also see the score once he/she has completed the assignment.
Context Clues Task Cards – Multiple choice quiz
Related to this Resource:
- CCSSL.3.4 – Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 3 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- CCSSL.3.4a – Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- CCSSL.3.4b – Determine the meaning of the new word formed when a known affix is added to a known word (e.g., agreeable/disagreeable, comfortable/uncomfortable, care/careless, heat/preheat).
- CCSSL.3.4c – Use a known root word as a clue to the meaning of an unknown word with the same root (e.g., company, companion).
- CCSSL.4.4 – Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- CCSSL.4.4a – Use context (e.g., definitions, examples, or restatements in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
Read Before Purchasing:
All files are DIGITAL download files in PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat to access this resource. Once you purchase, you will be prompted to a page where you can download your file(s). You will also receive an email with a link to the downloadable file(s). Additionally, you can access your files at any time by visiting the ‘My Account‘ section.
Have other questions? Check out the FAQ page for questions about downloads, editable files, printing, and more!